Taking care of your teeth and gums is essential to maintaining good overall health for a lifetime. An important part of keeping your mouth in great shape is protecting your teeth’s enamel and preventing dental erosion. Enamel is the hard substance that protects the outside of your teeth. Once your enamel is damaged, your oral health is put at risk. Here’s how you can recognize and prevent dental erosion from occurring.
What is Dental Erosion?
Dental erosion takes place when your teeth’s enamel is worn away by acids. Many things can cause erosion to occur, including
- Drinking acidic drinks, such as soda or energy drinks
- Acid reflux
- Dry mouth
- Consuming acidic or sugary foods
Signs of Erosion
It’s important to recognize the early signs of dental erosion, so that you can prevent it from causing more serious damage to your teeth’s enamel before it’s too late. Symptoms include:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold substances
- Rounded teeth
- Translucent appearance on front teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Small dents where your teeth bite down
How to Prevent Dental Erosion
The best way to prevent dental erosion from occurring or progressing is being careful of what you eat and drink. To keep your enamel strong:
- Limit the acidic foods you eat.
- Drink water in place of acidic drinks.
- Use a straw when you do consume acidic drinks.
- Wait 30 minutes after eating before brushing your teeth.
If your teeth are showing signs of dental erosion, such as tooth sensitivity or discoloration, don’t postpone visiting your dentist. The longer you wait, the worse your condition could become. The experienced dental team at The Dental Room can help you diagnose and create an effective treatment plan to combat your dental erosion. Contact us today to schedule your appointment at our convenient Downtown Calgary location. We look forward to keeping your smile healthy and beautiful in 2020!